Updated: Apr 19, 2020
Aguachile is a typical dish of northern Mexico, particularly in the northwest. It's a kind of very spicy shrimp ceviche. If you want to sweat and enjoy it at the same time, cook a very hot aguachile. Here's my recipe for two portions: INGREDIENT LIST:
- 250g of shrimp (preferably fresh) - 8 Lemons - 1 red onion - 1 cucumber - 1 bunch of coriander - Serrano peppers (to taste) - Salt and pepper - Crackers INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Peel the shrimp, remove the head, tail and vein attached to the tail. Wash them well and place them in a container in the shape of a bed.
2. In the blender, mix the bunch of cilantro well washed (remove the stems so it doesn't get bitter), the chilies (to taste depending if you want it more or less spicy), the juice of the lemons and salt and pepper to taste. NOTE: for many Mexican recipes it is better to have a blender, one of the most used utensils, I recommend you to buy one! 3. Pour the mixture over the bed of shrimp and let them marinate until the shrimp are well cooked, you will notice when they get a very pink color.
4. Cut the cucumber in half and remove the seeds. Then cut it into half-moons and cut the red onion into julienne (thin strips).
5. When the shrimp are well cooked, add the cucumber and onion to the shrimp and mix. Marinate in the refrigerator for about half an hour and you're done!
6. Serve in a deep plate and you can accompany it with toast or cookies. I got Schär brand crackers that are very similar in flavour to the ones we eat in Mexico. You can also serve your Aguachile with avocado =)